Intended as a setting for receptions, balls and also as a picture gallery this is the largest and most imposing of the state rooms at Spencer House. The central compartment of the ceiling is similar to Stuart's design in the chapel at Greenwich, with three shallow domes. The coffering and the frieze are derived from the vaults of the Temple of Concord and Victory in Rome. The door and the window architraves, which are identical, are purest Greek, derived from the Erechtheum. The north and south doorcases have flanking Corinthian columns which were added by the late Lord Spencer in 1926.